The FIMULAW Organizing Committee would like to confirm that FIMULAW 2018 is scheduled to proceed this Friday regardless of any labour disruption associated with the teaching assistant union, PSAC 610.
Our decision to proceed is based on the following considerations:
- FIMULAW provides graduate students with the opportunity to share their work with their colleagues across several faculties; as such, it would be graduate students – and, by extension, teaching assistants – who would be most negatively impacted by a cancellation.
- The FIMULAW Organizing Committee agrees with PSAC 610 and SGPS in considering research and course work as being separate from employment labour.We understand that you may have distinct concerns or responsibilities if any labour action is initiated on April 13. We would like to reassure you that we completely support you in however you choose to respond to a labour disruption, up to and including withdrawing your attendance from FIMULAW 2018. In particular, we would like to acknowledge that PSAC Ontario does not agree with PSAC 610 and SGPS regarding the division of research and employment work, and that this difference of opinion may well force your hand. All in all, we respect that teaching assistants across our faculties are faced with some key decisions this week, and we would like to emphasize our support for you to pursue your conscience in these matters.
If you would like to show support for teaching assistants and PSAC 610, we invite you to consider the following:
- Write to Dr. Chakma and Dr. Deakin to express your support for Western to return to negotiations in good faith.
- Talk to your students or post on social media about the service that teaching assistants perform on campus.
- If you’re a member of UWOFA, publicize and add your support to the UWOFA’s public letter.
- Wear red while attending FIMULAW to show your support for teaching assistants and their pursuit of fairer working conditions.
If you have additional questions regarding the ongoing votes or the bargaining process more broadly, we encourage you to reach out to PSAC 610 or to your respective department steward.
Thank you for your time.;
– The FIMULAW Organizing Committee